This is part two of a three part series on the training phases/cycles of marathon training. In this episode I share tips on how to train during the sharpening phase as well as its purpose, its duration, where to start and how to incorporate it into your marathon training plan.
- A quick review of my experience at USA Track & Field – level one coaching certification class
- A quick review of the base building phase of your marathon training plan
- The sharpening phase – focusing on fine tuning your training, targeting your race environment (terrain, heat, altitude) as well as simulating race conditions through speed workouts.
- Benefits include improving race performance, better judgement of pacing, optimizing lactate levels, simulate effort.
- Not all runners need to do sharpening (eg. beginners). Base-building should be primary, then sharpening due to better results of proper base building.
- Length of sharpening phase depends widely between beginners vs experienced athletes depending on where the athlete is at.
- Sharpening workouts should be minimal, but higher intensity. Alternate hard/easy.
- Where does sharpening phase fit in and how to apply it.
Listener Questions answered:
1) Running shoes – How to buy and select running shoes and the best place to buy.
2) Pain in the knee – What should I do to deal with knee pain?
3) Shout out and congratulations to Alex A for his 4:05 Charleston marathon beating his old PR of 4:51.
4) How long should recovery be after running a marathon at a hard effort, especially with another marathon coming up and what do you focus on between the two races? Speed? Base Building? etc.
If you want an example of a complete marathon training program, including everything I have previously mentioned already built in for you, be sure to check out my 20 Week Marathon Training Program.
Latest posts by By Steve Carmichael (see all)
- 007 – The Beginner 5k Training Episode – Get Fit For 5k™ – January 12, 2014
- 2014 – New Years Resolutions And What’s Next For Me – January 1, 2014
- 006 – The Benefits of Sports Massage And Foam Rolling For Runners – December 31, 2013